Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Tart topped with Agave sweetened Coconut whipped cream

Today at the farmers market I stumbled upon the most deliciously sweet strawberries that I've tasted this entire season. The lady selling them wouldn't sell me less than 6 baskets. Since I couldn't leave without these sweet wonderments, I took them all. Now I'm left to figure out what to do with all of these strawberries. Try as she might, my daughter can't eat them all...and she loves strawberries! My husband will not eat them unless I trim them for him and put them on a plate...Not gonna happen.  So as I was sitting here, I thought, how about a strawberry tart?!! Sounds yummy enough, but how about if I up the anty and do a strawberry tart with a nice cinnamon crumble topping!! My mouth is watering just thinking of it. Motherhood is calling me to duty so I don't really have the time to make a pie dough from scratch...as I'm typing this my daughter is pulling at my leg...but I don't want to give up on the idea of the strawberry tart with that delicious cinnamon crumble topping. So here's what I came up with:


A strawberry tart with a cinnamon-oat-crumble bottom, topped with Agave sweetened coconut cream! 
Trust me when I say that this is as yummy as it looks! My daughter couldn't get enough of it! She ate this one by herself...yup mommy of the year right here!

The ingredients are simple:  1/2 cup of unbleached flour, 1/2 cup of oats...I used 1 packet of plain instant oatmeal, it was all I had... 4 tablespoons, or half a stick of cold butter, cut and cubed, a dash of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, although I used less because I think one could always do with a little less sugar than is called for in recipes. Place all ingredients into a food processor an pulse until it looks like this:



Place this mixture into a foil lined, or parchment lined baking pan and bake until it browns:


I sliced my berries while it cooled and whipped my chilled coconut cream. If you can't find coconut cream, (Hint: I found a can at Trader Joe's) then use whipped cream. Use what you have it'll make your life a whole lot easier.   Top the crumble bottom with the fresh berries


Slice, add cream, and serve!  The next time I make this I'm going to use almond flour. Using almond flour will be a nice healthy twist to this, and it will be great for all my friends on a gluten free diet.. From start to finish this dessert took me 25 minutes to make, and that was with my 16 month old daughter pulling on my leg almost the entire time.  This is definitely a lazy girl dessert that you'll want to make again, and again! Now what to do with the rest of the strawberries? Any ideas? What are some fun and yummy things that you make with strawberries?


Follow me and like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lazygirldinners

No comments:

Post a Comment