Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pineapple Rings--How to make dehydrated Pineapple Rings

Dehydrated Pineapple Rings
Dehydrated Pineapple Rings
One of my go to snacks is dehydrated fruit.  I'm a particular fan of pineapple rings.  But, if you've ever purchased organic dehydrated pineapple rings, then you probably know that pineapple rings are a snack that can be out right expensive! I mean outlandishly expensive! On top of the expense, it's pretty hard to find pineapple rings that haven't been soaked in baths of sugar.  I'm not a fan of adding sugar to dehydrated fruit.  It's sort of an oxymoron to me that sugar is added to dehydrated fruit at all, because if you know anything about dehydration--then you know that the sugar in fruits concentrate when dehydrated, so there really isn't a need to add sugar--unless you're dehydrating something really tart like cranberries then I could see the purpose of adding sugar. Last week I purchased a pineapple, I fully intended to eat it fresh. However,when I cut, and tasted it-- it was pretty tasteless. Disappointing for sure. The pineapple clearly needed to ferment more.  Rather than chuck it, I sliced it and put it in the dehydrator and made pineapple rings. The resulting pineapple rings were not only flavorful, but they were sweet--everything you want would want in a fresh bite of pineapple--minus the juice of course.  The pineapple rings lasted all of 2 minutes, my sister in-law, my niece and Page, gobbled them right up--I'm pretty sure they would've passed on the fresh slices.
Pin It!
 
 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time 6-8 hrs 10-12hr for thicker slices
Ingredients:
2 whole fair trade organic pineapple
Directions: Remove the stem from the pineapple, then slice off the top and bottom.  Slice off the skin, making sure to remove all the eyelets.
image
Now slice the pineapple thinly.
image
Keep in mind that the thicker you slice it, the longer it will take to dry.  If it's too thin your pineapple rings will turn out crisp, if they are a bit thicker, they'll be more leathery, so it' just a matter of what you're seeking in consistency.  After slicing, cut out the center core by carving a circular cut in the middle of the pineapple.
image
Remove the core and discard it.
image
Place the pineapple rings on your dehydrator sheet,
image
Set the dehydrator to 135F.  If you're doing this in the oven, set the oven to 150F or the lowest possible setting.  Dehydrate for 6-8 hours, 10-12hrs if you cut thicker slices.
image
Once dry let cool, then enjoy!
image
Page could not wait for me to take a picture, she loves these so much!
image
image
if you like this recipe, try the recipe for my pineapple fruit roll-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment