Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gluten free Fried Chicken



I don't fry chicken very often maybe once or twice a year. Fried chicken really isn't something I want to make a main stay in my family's daily diet, if you know what I mean. If I have a craving for fried chicken I usually make my "Tofu fried chicken".  However, anyone who's ever had fried chicken, (is there anyone who hasn't?), knows how delicious and addicting real fried chicken can be. When we travel outside the United Staes, it's always interesting to see the sheer number of fast food fried chicken restaurants there are. Besides McDonalds, KFC and Churches chicken seem to have a solid hold on the worlds fast food dollars, and they seem to be everywhere! Is there a healthy way to fry chicken, um...probably not! But there are ways to make fried chicken healthier. Baking fried chicken, is one option, but then again that's not really "fried chicken." Removing the skin is another option, but I have to admit it's one of my favorite parts of fried chicken, a crispy skin is everything! This particular recipe has no skin, it's gluten free, and Paleo because I use coconut flour, and it's super duper yummy. Frying it in coconut oil adds another delicious flavor profile, trust me when I say that you want to try this recipe. It is beyond delicious!  My daughter isn't a big meat eater, but one bite of one of these golden nuggets and she was a chicken convert. She kept asking for, more, and more, and "more of that chi-ken."

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch chunks
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup of Coconut flour
1/2 cup of coconut oil

Directions:
Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add coconut flour to a small bowl. Season chicken with sea salt and black pepper:

Dredge the chicken in the coconut flour:

Add Chicken to the hot coconut oil. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, flipping the chicken half way through, to brown on both sides:

Once chicken is cooked through, Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to absorb any extra oil, then enjoy!

Have you ever fried chicken in something other than vegetable or canola oil? How did it turn out?
Like my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/lazygirldinners





No comments:

Post a Comment