Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Turkey Chili


Turkey Chili

Chili is another one of my favorite winter weather comfort foods. On a cold blistery day, nothing is as warming as a hot bowl of chili. As a private chef my chili was a favorite amongst my clients. I made so many variations of this recipe and everyone is fantastic. If you want to use something other than ground turkey in this go right ahead. I've done this with ground chicken, beef, venison, and even textured vegetable protein(TVP) for my vegetarian friends, all  variations work for this. If you are using TVP 1 cup will do in this recipe. I add it in at the point where I add the meat in the recipe.  I'm not a big fan of TVP because I would rather use something not so processed. But I will say that I have served TVP chili to unsuspecting friends and family and they didn't realize that it was not meat! It actually tastes like ground meat.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 15 ounce can of organic kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can of organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15 ounce can of organic tomato sauce
1 pound of ground turkey
1 cup of water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 tablespoons of ground cumin
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat the oil in a pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add in cumin, and cook for 2 minutes. Add in ground meat, season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook until meat is brown. Add in tomato sauce, water, and beans. Stir well, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes,  it's done when the mixture thickens a bit. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment