Tuesday, June 2, 2015

DIY Onion Soup Mix--Copy Cat Lipton's Onion Soup Mix

DIY Onion soup mix
DIY Onion soup mix
There are three seasonings that I can rely on my mom to have in her cupboards at all times: Lawry's seasoning salt, Lemon pepper, and Lipton's Onion Soup Mix.  In fact while writing this, I was tempted to call her, and have her take a picture of what is inside her cupboards, just so that you guys could see, but she's not that technologically savvy.  She barely knows how to get the pictures that I send her of Page through text.  When I was growing up my mom would rent  4-5  movies and make a bunch of snacks for us watch over the course of the weekend.  One of those snacks was a sour cream and onion dip.  She'd take a container of sour cream and mix in a package of the Lipton Onion Soup mix--simple but delicious.  We'd happily nosh on potato chips, celery, and carrot sticks dipped in the onion dip while we watched the latest movie release from Blockbuster video--yes I just dated myself!  Oh the memories!  I haven't had that dip in years!  I'd say a good 10-12 years, maybe longer.  It's not something my mom makes any more.  I wanted to make it for me and my hubby, but I didn't want to buy the Lipton's seasoning. I had an idea of what was in the seasoning--or at least I thought I did-- dried minced onion, onion powder, dried green onion--but to be sure I called my mom and asked her what was on the ingredient list.  Sure enough she had a box in her cupboard and  the ingredient list she read to me was anything but simple. Besides the MSG, onion powder, and cornstarch, there were a list of ingredients that had  nothing to do with onions. So I set out to do what I do best and made my own--without all the added preservatives and coloring.  I used the organic onion powder that I made myself, and added minced onion and a few herbs.  A perfect match! Tastes just like I remember it! Delicious!!
Pin It!
Pin It!
 
 
 
 
Makes the equivalent of 1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix
Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons of organic dried minced onion flakes
3 teaspoons of organic onion powder
1 teaspoon of organic dried chives
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of celery salt
Directions: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, if you don't plan on using this right away, transfer it to an air tight container for later use.
image
 
image
 
image

No comments:

Post a Comment