Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Flourless Chocolate Meringue Cookies



Starbucks Inspired Flourless Chocolate Meringue Cookies

This heat has definitely made me a Starbucks fan. Everyday I find myself going there to buy a shaken green iced tea, and since I'm there, I pick up  a treat--their flourless, gluten free, chocolate cookie. It's probably the healthiest treat option in their refrigerated showcase, and my daughter and I love it. However, this afternoon tea and cookie thing is getting expensive, at $5 a day--$7 when we indulge at Disney--it's getting a bit out of control. I love treating myself, but I hate mindless spending too. I'd much rather spend that $200/month on a new kitchen gadget--like a Searzall, or a chamber vacuum sealer to go along with the new immersion circulator that my husband got me for Mother's Day.  So what's a girl to do? Buy a box of organic green mint tea, and make the meringue cookies myself, of course!  The best thing about these cookies is that besides the cream of tartar, I already had all of the ingredients.  These cookies are chewy, gooey and light all at the same time--just like the Starbucks cookies, but unlike the Starbucks version, these contain no added oil, so they are super low-fat, low-calorie and gluten free! Score!!!

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time : 10-15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
5 ounces of bitter sweet dark chocolate (60%)
1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
3/4 of powdered sugar (I used maple sugar)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Directions:  Pre-heat the oven to 375. Melt the 5 ounces of chocolate in a double boiler and set aside. 





Add the two egg whites to a bowl and beat on low until bubbles form, add the cream of tartar and beat on high, add in the sugar and beat until peaks are stiff and fluffy---you can turn the bowl upside down with out the mixture running. 

Pour in the melted chocolate and fold it into the egg white fluff--be gentle-- fold until the white streaks disappear.

Fold in the chocolate chips, then spoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  

Bake for 10-12 minutes, the cookies should be soft and pliable. 

Let them cool for 10 minutes, then move them to a cookie rack to continue cooling 5-7 minutes. Serve and enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment