Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Gingered Greens


Gingered Rainbow Chard

I am fortunate enough to live close to a few natural foods markets.  One of the natural foods markets that I frequent has an onsite vegan restaurant, and the food is amazing.  My best friend and I used to make it a Sunday routine to meet there for brunch and then shop for groceries together afterwards. This was prior to us both having children. It was the best of both worlds for both of us, we both have a love of food and food shopping, and of course spending time together.  One of my favorite dishes at this natural foods market restaurant was a dish called gingered greens.  It hit all the right notes for me, tangy and soul satisfying all at the same time! We always tried to get the waiters to tell us what was in this dish, because we wanted to remake it at home. But every time we asked we'd get different answers, or worse no answer at all. Needless to say I've tried this dish several times with less than stellar results. This week when I went to my local farmers market, they had rainbow chard, and I thought, this is my chance to get it right! Maybe it took me going into this with a bit of confidence, or maybe it was just a stroke of luck, I don't know, but I think I struck gold with this one!

Ingredients:
4 cups of rainbow chard, chopped
1/2 teaspoon of garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon of ginger grated
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of olive oil or ghee
2 tablespoons of cilantro chopped roughly
Sea Salt to taste

Directions:  Heat the oil along with the ginger and garlic for 20-30 seconds:

 Add in the chard, saute until the greens wilt, then add the apple cider vinegar:

Cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the greens are tender, season with a little sea salt, add in cilantro, transfer to a bowl and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment