Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Southern Style Fried Catfish

Southern Style Fried Catfish
Last week I was watching a documentary called Soul Food Junkies, it was about the history, and resulting health consequences of eating too much soul food. It was a great  documentary, informative, and inspiring in all the right places. However, I left viewing it with a strong desire to eat collard greens and catfish. My grandmother fried fish, and cooked greens like no one else on this planet,I miss her cooking so much.  I guess one could say that my craving was more of an emotional comfort rather than hunger. Whatever, the reason for my craving, it was one that I had to fulfill. It worked out perfectly as things go, my Whole Foods had 4 catfish fillets on hand, they rarely if ever have catfish, so I took it as a sign that my grandmother was looking out for me and wanted me to have the comfort of the meal I set out to make. I rarely cook fried fish, but when I do I love to have it with collard greens. So I picked up a few bushels at my local farmers market and set out to make this meal. This is not my grandmothers recipe, but it's pretty great on its own. Her recipe involved much more detail than this one does, and that required more time than I had on that Sunday. If you want and have the time you can crack an egg and whisk it as a wash to dip the fish into before putting it into the corn meal. I skipped that option and the fish was still crispy and juicy.

Ingredients:
1 lb of cat fish fillets, quartered
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup of corn meal
1/2 cup of grapeseed oil, or safflower oil

Directions: Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet. season the cat fish fillets with sea salt and black pepper. Mix the paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder together in a small bowl, then sprinkle the mixture evenly over both sides of the fish.
image
Coat the fish with the corn meal then add it to the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, and cooked through...about 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and enjoy!
image

No comments:

Post a Comment