Tuesday, June 17, 2014

How to make Condensed Milk--Condensed Coconut Milk

How to make Condensed Coconut Milk
How to make Condensed Coconut Milk

It's not often that a recipe that I concoct requires the use of condensed milk.  Condensed milk is definitely one of those products that has a very specific use.  When I was a little girl I remember looking in my grandmother's refrigerator and always seeing a can of the Eagle brand condensed milk.  Given that the same can was always in her refrigerator, I don't think she had many recipes that required it's use either.  I'm not exactly sure what is in the super sweet concoction sold in the can now, but when  I was making up the recipe for my Coconut chocolate bars, I decided that I needed to prepare my own. I've done this with almost every kind of milk, cows, coconut, and almond.  All come out perfectly.  If you are going to do this, then I suggest doing so when you have a few hours to spend at home.  Doing this over low heat, allows you more freedom to do other things while it cooks.  If you want to speed up the process, you can use higher heat, but that will require much more from you in terms of stirring and keeping a watchful eye.
Prep time: none
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours
Ingredients :
2.5 cups of coconut milk (or milk)
3/4 cup of maple sugar (can use whatever sugar you'd like)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of butter (optional)
Directions: Add milk, and sugar to a sauce pan and simmer over low heat for 1.5-2 hours, or until the milk is reduced by half.
image
Once the milk has reduced(condensed) whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Pour into a container and let cool.
image
It will thicken on it's own as it cools. Allow the milk to cool completely before adding it to a recipe.
image
image

No comments:

Post a Comment