Monday, July 7, 2014

Sauteed Beet Greens with Garlic and Feta Cheese



I planted a garden about four months ago, the first thing to sprout from my garden were these lovely beet greens stalks. They were so beautiful and perfectly green that I found myself fighting the urge to pick them too soon.   For the longest time I had no idea that I could actually eat the tops of the beets, which means many, many, beet greens have been thrown in the trash by me without a thought. When it finally hit me that these beautiful greens were actually edible and that I could cook and eat them, I wondered why it had taken me so long to do so!  My husband is not a fan of beets at all. However, he is an ultra fan of the stalks on this vegetable.  I can't blame him, the greens produced from the beets are delicious and tender, and when cooked, they are reminiscent of tender spinach.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
5 cups of beet greens chopped
2 large garlic clove (sliced thinly)
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons of olive oil
sea salt to taste

Directions:
Add the oil and garlic to a saute pan over medium heat.  Cook until you smell the garlic, about 20 seconds.

 Add in the beet green and saute until they begin to wilt.  Add in the balsamic, and cook for another 3-4 minutes. 

 Transfer the greens to a bowl, top with feta cheese, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment