Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Eggplant Fries

Eggplant Fries

One of my husbands absolute favorite vegetables is eggplant. If I made it every night for dinner for three years straight that would not be enough for him. He loves it! The problem with his love for eggplant is not that I don't love it, because I do. It's that it's hard for me to find organic eggplants.  Short of me growing our own private stag of organic eggplants, which I have tried, and failed at, I just have not been able to appease his love for this vegetable. Whenever, our Whole Foods has organic eggplants a buy them, no matter what they cost. Fortunately for me, my husband will eat eggplant anyway I prepare it.  Page on the other hand is just getting acquainted with eggplant, so preparation for her is a much less forgiving thing.  She loved these eggplant fries which made my heart happy. The key to cooking eggplant in any kind of oil, is to bring your oil up to temperature before adding the eggplant. If you add the eggplant to the oil before the oil is hot enough, you will get an oil logged disgusting piece of eggplant. Eggplant is like a sponge in that way, it soaks up the oil, so make sure your oil is nice and hot before you add the eggplant.
Pin It!
Pin It!
 
 
 
 


Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients: 
1 medium sized eggplant, julienned but keep them thick
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
sea salt to taste
4-5 tablespoons of safflower oil ( can substitute with grape seed oil, or another high heat oil)

Directions: Add the eggplant, turmeric and sea salt to a bowl and toss well, and set aside.

 Heat the oil in a cast iron pan, once the oil is hot, add in the eggplant, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. 

Brown the eggplant on all sides, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. 

Season with more sea salt if necessary, then serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment