Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan, Lemon and Red Pepper Flakes

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan, Lemon and Red Pepper Flakes


I was at the farmers market this past Sunday, doing my usual weekly shopping.  One of my favorite vendor's had these beautiful stalks of brussels sprouts.  I got so excited about them that a woman, who was also shopping, pulled me aside and whispered : "How do you cook those?" This isn't the first time this has happened to me,  believe it or not, people stop me all the time, either at the farmers market, or at Whole Foods, to ask how to cook a variety of vegetables. The funny thing about people asking me cooking questions is that they almost always whisper the question?  I don't understand why they whisper the question! I want to tell them, "you know you're not the only person on the planet who has no idea what to do with ((insert name of vegetable here))."   I shared this recipe for roasted brussels sprouts with the  the lady at the farmer's market. It's simple, easy and so delicious.  It's one of my absolute favorite ways to cook and eat brussels sprouts.
Pin It!
Pin It!









Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 pound of brussels sprouts halved
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of olive oil ( or ghee or coconut oil)
Sea salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions: Pre-heat the oven to 425F. Add the lemon juice and red pepper flakes to a medium sized bowl and set aside.  In a medium bowl add the brussels sprouts, oil and sea salt, toss well making sure that all the brussels sprouts are evenly covered with oil.

Place on a foil lined baking sheet and put in the oven.  

Cook  for 10-15 minute, or until the brussels sprouts take on a significant amount of color and they become crisp and tender. Sprinkle the sprouts with  half the cheese and cook for another minute or two, just until cheese melts and becomes crisp, remove the sprouts from the oven, transfer them to the bowl with the lemon juice and the red pepper flakes, toss well to coat the brussels sprouts with the lemon juice, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, serve immediately and enjoy! These are crispy, tangy with a little kick! They are the perfect side dish for almost any meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment