Wednesday, January 28, 2015

DIY Yogurt--How to Make Yogurt

image
 
I have been wanting to make my own yogurt for a long while now. I have put off making it because I rarely buy milk, unless I want to make ice cream.  The truth is that we don't drink milk, so there is rarely a need for it in our home.  I was in Whole Food's the other day and went to pick up a jar of my favorite Bulgarian yogurt, when I thought--now is the time to make my own.  The process is super simple.  I did it with my Sous-vide machine, but you could do this in your slow cooker on low,  in a dehydrator set to 110F, or with just the light of your oven door.
Pin It!
 
 
 
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes Plus 6 hours of non cook time
Ingredients:
4 cups of full fat organic milk
4 tablespoons of full fat organic yogurt--make sure the yogurt that you choose has active live cultures.
Directions: Heat the milk in a stainless steel sauce pan,
image
 
When the temperature reaches 110F turn off the fire and whisk in the yogurt.
image
 
Transfer the mixture to a glass jar,
image
Lightly cap it,
image
If you aren't using a slow cooker or a immersion circulator, place the jar in the oven and turn on the oven light and allow to culture over night.  If using a slow cooker, fill the cooker with water, place the jar inside and set the cooker to low--or 110F.
If using a circulator, fill a pan with enough water to cover the sides of the jar, set the circulator to 110F and add the jar--let sit for 4-6 hour's or until the yogurt thickens to the consistency of store bought yogurt--the longer you let the yogurt sit the more tart and thick it becomes--so if you find that you like the consistency and taste at 4 hours then remove it from the heat then--if you like it more tart then let it go for longer--even over night--it's really up to you, and your preference.
image
Remove from circulator and refrigerate.  Once refrigerated, the yogurt will thicken a bit more, and the whey will separate from the yogurt, you can pour it off or mix it back into the yogurt.
image
The yogurt will keep for up to 2 weeks.  If you plan on making another batch you can use this yogurt as a starter.
image

imageHow easy was that?! I can't believe I didn't try this sooner!  The yogurt is delicious!
Follow and Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/lazygirldinners

No comments:

Post a Comment