Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How to make Onion Powder--DIY Onion Powder

DIY Onion Powder--How to make Onion Powder
DIY Onion Powder--How to make Onion Powder
Recently I was chatting with some professional chefs online one of them was talking about using dried powders like garlic and onion in a recipe that he was playing with.  He wanted to know where he could find better quality powders.  The discussion quickly went from people being helpful, to people questioning whether any chef of good standing would ever use a dried product versus a fresh product. One person in particular, said absolutely not!  Others, said of course and then went on to make a case for when dried spices are needed, and in those cases how using dry spices make the dish better.  The discussion got me thinking about how often I use dried spices, and what dry ingredients I use.  The truth is that I am one of those cooks, who relies heavily on fresh ingredients.  The produce bin in my refrigerator is always stocked with, fresh thyme, parsley, mint, cilantro, basil, and whatever other herb is in season--ALWAYS.  I can't imagine cooking without the use of fresh herbs.  At the same time, my cupboards are stocked with the dried version of all the fresh herbs that I just mentioned, and many, many other dry spices, like garlic powder, cumin, tarragon, onion powder...the list could literally fill this page!  If you've been following my blog, then you know that I make many of my own spices.   When the person in that forum asked about sourcing onion powder, my immediate thought was, why not just make it? So I did.  It's a simple process, but the onion powder that you get from this process is the best that you will probably ever taste--or smell--the smell had me salivating--this is the stuff that great onion dips, and soups are built from!
Pin It!
 
 
 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours--
Ingredients:
2 large onions sliced thinly
Directions: Evenly spread the sliced onions on a dehydrator sheet.
image
If using an oven, place the onions on a parchment lined bake sheet. Set the temperature on your dehydrator to 125F.  If using an oven, set it to the lowest possible setting 150F.  Let the onions dehydrate until brittle, then remove and let cool.
image
Once the onions have cooled, place them in a spice grinder/coffee grinder and blend into a powder.  Stop here if you want onion flakes,
image
 
image
Transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.
 
image
 

No comments:

Post a Comment